The Naval Torpedo Station (NTS), established on Newport's Goat Island in 1869, participated in testing and development of both torpedoes and the parts required for production. One of the components, of course, were explosives such as gun cotton. Tests conducted in Newport found this substance to be a suitable replacement for gun powder in torpedo warheads. On November 2nd 1882 the station was ordered to develop manufacturing of gun cotton for the navy. Full scale production was reached in 1884, and 10,000 pounds were produced with a staff of five. the exposive was widely used in torpedoes until around 1912.
|The NTS gun cotton factory prior to the fire on July 3, 1893.|
|The remnants of the factory after the explosion.|
Images courtesy of the Naval War College Museum